We are all so deeply touched by the horrors of the recent Haiti earthquake. It serves to bring the attention of the world’s compassion to this tragic nation and its devastated people. I thought we should have a look at the horoscopes involved as what has taken place is another example of the power of destruction so invested in the current Saturn/Pluto contacts. Please examine the two charts that are offered: Haiti’s natal chart and the chart of the Earthquake. At the end of this article, you will find some direct web links that will take you to a few of the many official organizations where you may pledge your donations to help the Haitian people.
I did some research into the date of Haiti’s Independence and although the date was easy enough to find, I could not locate an exact time for the actual Declaration of Independence. I have therefore used midnight of January 1, 1804. The results in terms of the natal house cusps are extraordinary when compared to the transit chart of the quake. In any event, except for the position of the Moon, the other planetary positions for that 24 hours period do not significantly change at all. Keep in mind the theme of Saturn square Pluto: the struggle to break down (and then regenerate) existing structures that prevent correct interpersonal and financial relationships. It should also be noted that just the difficult interchange (square, opposition, conjunction) of these two planets produced enormous stress. When Mars enters the picture (as it does!) the orientation to death and violence increases, while Mercury acts as a trigger to activity. Please note the following:
1. The MC/IC axis of the quake chart make an exact grand cross with the MC/IC axis of the Haiti natal chart. When we include the Asc/Dsc axis of the natal map, that grand cross is doubly reinforced.
2. The Haiti natal chart contains an exact square of Saturn in Libra to Mars conjunct Chiron in Capricorn. This occurs at 3-4º of Libra/Capricorn. At the time of the earthquake transiting Saturn is at 4 Libra and transiting Pluto is at 3 Capricorn. This is thus a period of a Saturn return for Haiti that is marred by the Pluto square that reinforces the very difficult natal indications.
3. Note the importance of Saturn and Mars to the angular houses in both charts.
4. The Jupiter/Neptune/Chiron conjunctions in the earthquake chart oppose the natal Moon with Jupiter in exact opposition.
5. Transiting and triggering Mercury is at 6 Capricorn retrograde in very close proximity to the natal IC and Mars/Chiron/Saturn contacts.
6. Transiting Mars (which is also considered a “trigger” planet) is exactly inconjunct natal Uranus and is now exactly conjunct the natal Southern Node.
The combination of all of the above planetary indications is very sinister and violent by nature. Could the earthquake have been foreseen? That is hard to say. Could a very difficult time in the national life of this poor nation have been forecasted? Absolutely. But who was looking at Haiti’s chart? I know that I did not examine these factors until after the fact and never looked at Haiti’s chart before today. It will be of great interest to astrological students to check various national natal positions for the first 5º of the Cardinal Signs as soon Uranus and Jupiter will be in the early degrees of Aries, setting up a very challenging set of planetary T-Squares with the existing Saturn/Pluto contact. In terms of some of the meanings of these aspects for our individual charts, please look at my previous editions of As Above, So Below and please stay in touch for my future comments, lectures, and writings about these cardinal challenges in 2010.
As for now, we hold the people of Haiti in our prayers and join in constant alignment with all the men and women of Good Will around the world who are offering their silent and active assistance at this time.